In the spring of 2005, NEF assumed responsibility for the operations formerly run by Support Our Schools (SOS), with the goal of having a single comprehensive organization to support public education in Northampton. Under the merger, NEF has established the “SOS Book Fund,” which runs exactly as it did under SOS. The fund is designated for textbooks, library books, educational materials, and their electronic/technical equivalents.
The principal sources of the fund are an annual appeal to Northampton residents and an annual Plant and Garden Market, held in May. Funds are distributed annually on a per-capita basis per school, after each School Council has submitted spending plans and the NEF Board has approved them.
Applications for the 2018- 2019 academic year are available now:
Click here to access an online-fillable application form.
Some Guidelines for Applicants:
- Provide information on why the order is important to the student’s learning experience.
- Make every attempt to submit all requests/requisitions for all the SOS dollars apportioned to your school at one time, and these should be ready as soon as possible after the February School Committee meeting.
- Teachers should get written quotes from companies. The quotes should include shipping, and be good for 30 or 60 days. (You can get ballpark quotes while you are planning how to spend your funds.) Teachers should use the “School Dept.” name, so they get the school discount. You will be scanning these quotes and including them with your online request form.
- Include a completed School Department Purchase Requisition (can be accessed on employee forms website)
- Please make every attempt to order locally. Broadside Bookshop can accommodate many of our requests, and other independent bookshops may be able to as well. Even the Hadley Barnes & Noble employs locals, so please do make an attempt to shop locally.
- July 1 will be the cut-off date for requests, with the last purchase order issued on Aug. 1. That will allow a month for delivery and payment. If an allocation is not used by that time, it will go into the Fund for the next year’s allocation. So, a school will not lose all of the unspent dollars, but they will get reapportioned according to the formula SOS uses to distribute funds.
- The minimum order is $300.
For more information about the SOS Book Fund, please contact Christina Petersen of the NEF Board.